Thursday, November 15, 2012

A little Bow Blanket {for baby}

 Today was going to be a free pattern for you :) But I lost it. This little mess I call a brain may have deleted it... I have been known. No fear, I will share it later next week instead. So I thought I would share a quick little bow I made for a receiving blanket. I don't know about you but when it comes to these simple flannel blankets, I can never have enough for baby, and I always want new ones. They seem to always take the brunt of messes so by the time the next baby rolls around I am ready for a new batch. However, when I went looking for flannel, I found myself drawn to all the "boy" prints. Bubble gum pink is not the color for me. So when I saw this city print in particular (found at joanns) I knew I just had to make it work. So well I put a bow in it. Bam for a girl now... (right?)
 Without the bow it would make a fine baby boy blanket, Jude actually thinks its gotham city... but with a bow, I say it passes as a girly blanket. You could add a bow to boy blankets you already have on hand if you are handing them down to a girl, or you could add this simple bow to anything... just "put a bow on it" it's going to be a new thing...
 To make the bow I cut out two "bow" shaped pieces. Then I sewed them together all around the edge. I cut a small slit in the middle of the bow through one layer so I could turn it right side out. Also you may note I used pinking shears to trim around the edges so everything would be smooth.
 Then I made the "ribbon" pieces, simply by folding a rectangle in half, making the bottom angle, and sewing the sides and bottom. Clip the corners and turn it right side out.
 Now I have my pieces. I pinched the middle of my bow and tacked it in place. Then I cut out a small little scrap to wrap around the center.
 (picture taken with my phone on this one sorry) So then I laid the ribbon pieces down and stitched them in place along the top. Then I added the bow right on top with the center already wrapped and I stitched the bow in place. I also tacked the bow down in few areas so it wouldn't be flopping all around.
Then to make the blanket I cut to squares (45"X45") and I placed them wrong sides together and serged around the edges. Simple, fast and done.
I did pick up some other flannels as well, they are patiently awaiting their fate... I may just slap some more bows on... or the camera print may get a camera and the woodland print may get a deer (I have a thing for deer but more on that later) Either way, I will be whipping them up soon :)

Oh and just a tip, 1 and 1/4 yards is enough for the blanket, I usually get 1 and 1/2 yards so I have enough to make a matching burp rag, you can never have enough of those either.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the camera print!!! Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a cute idea!! and i LOVE the city print, I actually just used it as facing for the lined version of your Jude Jacket I finished a couple days ago for my 2 yr old!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh oh oh! I MISS sewing!! I've been doing so much home decorating that I haven't touched the sewing machine. This bow blanket pushed me over the edge; I've gotta create something...today!
    www.ohbygollyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is adorable!! I'm totally making one!

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments! We love questions just the same, so go ahead and ask away! If you ask a question and your email is linked we will respond to your email, if not we will try to respond in the comments, thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...